What is the difference between bisexuality and bi-curiousity?
Updated: Jan 7
What is the difference between bisexuality and being bi-curious?
In this era, as we move towards a positive representation of defining sexuality, you'll notice that several different terms are being used such as- gay, bi and straight. These labels or terms can be both a help and a hindrance. Before we understand the difference between bisexuality and bi-curious, let's define them.
The term bisexual is used to define the sexual orientation of people who are sexually attracted to or engages in sexual relationships with more than one gender. This is an umbrella term used for any form of attraction to two or more genders.
The phrase bi-curious are people who are interested in having sex with their own gender or the other, without labelling their sexual orientation. They are curious about exploring their sexuality and experimenting further with it. People who suspect themselves to be bisexual are considered to be bi-curious. It is a stage or phase of life, where they are unclear about their preferences. Their attraction can be sexual in nature or just a journey of sexual self-discovery.
Understanding the difference between the two
Growing up, people often question their sexuality. And, every person who has a tinge of curiosity in them has asked this question - am I bisexual or bi-curious? To help you understand the difference between the two, we have prepared a reference guide. We hope this answers all your questions, as you get ready to explore your sexual preferences and sexuality further. These are the top five differences between a bisexual or bi-curious person.
1. As we have mentioned in the definition above, a bisexual person is comfortable having a sexual relationship with both genders. Whereas, a bi-curious person has never been with the same gender, but would like to experience it.
2. Bisexuality is a defined identity of their sexual orientation, but bi-curious is still a phase of exploration.
3. Bisexual people are open to relationships with both genders to satisfy their sexual needs and preferences. But, a bi-curious person can be attracted to the same gender or the other without having a sexual inclination. And, that's perfectly alright.
4. A bisexual person is often looking to commit to a long term relationship with people of both genders. But, a bi-curious person is driven by sexual curiosity and may settle with the opposite gender. In long term relationship commitment, they are often considered to have straight preferences.
5. A bi-sexual person has a clear understanding of their sexual preferences and knows their identity. Whereas, a bi-curious person is looking to test the waters to recognize their sexuality.
Whether you are bisexual or bi-curious, it's important to be true to yourself. We now know that figuring out one's sexual orientation can be complex. There is no harm in exploring your sexual preferences. Don't let the societal values and expectations make you any different. Ultimately, how we define ourselves or what term we choose to associate with, is our personal decision.